The "Infinite" Playlist

/ 8.10.12 /
Dear Friend,

I know it's been a while since I've posted something on my blog and that's because I was too busy trying to participate. Well, not really. I dont want to put into details but let's just say that our Internet provider is such a rip-off. Hahahaha! Yeah, so that's me doing my own version of Charlie, the main character from the novel-turned-film The Perks of Being a Wallflower which I watched for like 4 or 5 times already. Crazy, I know, but it's just so good. Well, for me at least. I also read the book and it made me loved it even more. Prolly one of the reasons why I loved it so much is because of it's awesome music which is a big part of the story. It's set on the early 90's when grunge music was starting to pickup what's left of the new wave era and mixtapes were a form of love letters. In the film, the main characters exchange mixtapes which gave me the best nostalgia of my teen years. I never really gave anyone a mixtape when I was a teenager because I didnt think people would appreciate my chosen songs. I just made them for myself  to make it easier to listen to my faves without the hassle of  changing cassette tapes and fast-forwarding to the tracks.  I wish I could post some photos of my early mixtapes but my teenage memorabilia were all drenched in Ondoy flood :( Anyway, I have not loved a soundtrack since Garden State and Wallflower's is just spot on. 

This is not a review of the soundtrack but rather a rundown of my favorites from the film. Let's start with Cocteau Twins' Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops from The Spangle Maker EP. In the film, Sam (Emma Watson) told Charlie (Logan Lerman) that she used to listen to the worst Top 40's until she heard this certain old song. When she mentioned Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops, my heart skipped a bit. I knew she was talking about a Cocteau Twins song! It's one of my faves from the band. And when the song played during the last days of highschool scene, I died. I just couldnt believe Cocteau Twins will be part of a movie soundtrack.
 
'The Innocence Mission!,' I shouted in my head when their song Evensong played during this Homecoming Dance scene. I havent heard The Innocence Mission in a film since Empire Records and I couldnt be happier to hear them again.
 
One of the standouts is The Smiths' Asleep which was Charlie's favorite song. You cant go wrong with The Smiths.
 
One of my favorite scenes was the Winter Formal dance particularly when Charlie slowly walked his way to the dance floor to join his friends and
Dexy's Midnight Runners' Come On Eileen was playing. So adorable! I thought the Save Ferris version was the original, though.
 
And of course, David Bowie's Heroes. They call it the "tunnel song." Such classic track that's fitting for this amazing film. It's the kind of song which you sing with your friends in a roadtrip and then you will realize that you all feel infinite. WTF!!!??? hahaha
 
Crowded House, XTC, Sonic Youth, Galaxy 500, L7, New Order are also heard on the film. If you liked the songs on this post and you havent seen or read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, then go ahead and "participate." You'll love the film as much as you'll love the songs.

1 comments:

{ Olivr } on: October 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Entertainment & Lifestyle - Top Blogs Philippines free counters
Banner_white

ARCHIVE

 
Copyright © 2010 INDIEBON, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger